DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bathroom Tile and a vapor barrier?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  acslater 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'm installing some "outside of the shower" tile. Meaning this tile is for the step out of the vinyl one piece shower kit and about 3 feet up the wall on the outside as well. None of the tile will be in constant direct contact with water at all times. The only time any of it will have water on it is when someone steps out of the shower and gets a little on the tile step

Now, here's my dilemma...I have 3/4" plywood as the cover for the base step of the shower getting out. I also have 1/4" plywood on the walls just out side of the shower where it meets the shower's flange. I was planning on putting 1/4 Hardiebacker on all three areas (step, left and right side of the outside of the shower) on top of the plywood. What kind of moisture barrier should I use. I'd like to not purchase $80 worth of redguard for 6 sq/ft of coverage if I don't have to, but that seems like a better idea than a 6 mil plastic barrier between the plywood and backer board. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
IF you could post a couple of pictures showing this. It is odd. No vapor barrier is needed on the floor, and no CBU will be absolutely necessary on the walls since it is not in a wet area. Let us see what you see, first.

#5 ·
More questions, now. What type and size tiles are you planning on using? What are your plans for the vertical to horizontal plane out front? Can you remove the plywood on the sides and replace it with CBU? You won't have enough space to install another layer of cbu and tile in the space you have. What is behind that plywood? Definitely cbu on the horizontal step part, embedded in thinset, then tile on top with thinset.

How are you going to address the transition from tile to sheetrock on the sides?

#6 ·
You could purchase Schluter KERDI in small rolls or even by the foot. It's waterproof and is applied with thinset.

Is that a concrete floor? If so, you could remove the wood you have on the floor and build up the lip with solid concrete blocks set in thinset or mortar. run some shower membrane up the side and under the tile to keep water from getting into the wall.

You could use shower membrane (sold by the foot usually) then lath then an some mortar. You can do a google search for how to build a shower curb for videos and info on the procedures.

#7 ·
What type and size tiles are you planning on using?
-It's a ceramic type and it's a subway pattern in glued sheets about 12" square. Sort of like a backsplash...but there are two tile shapes in the pattern, 1" and 3" each

What are your plans for the vertical to horizontal plane out front?
-I was planning on covering everything in 1/4" hardiebacker sheets. The sides are 1/4" plywood with a top layer of 1/4 HB on top. I know this sounds stupid, instead of just getting 1/2" HB for the sides, but it was what I purchased initially to try and use what I thought I needed to begin with.

Can you remove the plywood on the sides and replace it with CBU?
-Same as the end of above answer. I could, but it would just require purchasing more stuff I don't want. But yes, I can suck it up and do that.

You won't have enough space to install another layer of cbu and tile in the space you have.
-Well technically I would, the tile would slightly carry over to the 1/2" drywall. I figured 1/4" plywood and 1/4" HB would be fairly close to the 1/2" drywall to be flush and then CB tape, mud, thinset and tile to cover the union areas.

What is behind that plywood?
-Open wall space. No insulation in them walls :|

You could purchase Schluter KERDI in small rolls or even by the foot. It's waterproof and is applied with thinset.

Is that a concrete floor? If so, you could remove the wood you have on the floor and build up the lip with solid concrete blocks set in thinset or mortar. run some shower membrane up the side and under the tile to keep water from getting into the wall.

You could use shower membrane (sold by the foot usually) then lath then an some mortar. You can do a google search for how to build a shower curb for videos and info on the procedures.
-I actually have the Kerdi rolls already for the seems and what not. And I would LOVE to build up the concrete floor, but I do not have the desire or patience to rip out the work I already did and do something that fancy at this point. But yeah in hindsight, I that would be an awesome way to do it. Next house my friend, next house....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.