DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new tailpiece for the sink and I noticed it had a rubber gasket where you would normally use putty to seal it to the sink. I've never seen this before. My question is, should I use the rubber gasket or go with the tried & true plumbers putty?

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
In most cases use the putty. If the sink is cultured marble don't. The putty will stain and ruin the sink

Reactions: HairClog

·
Registered
37,461 Posts
We have no picture of what you've bought but most have a paper and a rubber gasket that goes under the sink not under the rim inside the sink.
The paper acts as a slip ring between the nut and the rubber gasket.
Put some pipe tape or Teflon dope on the threaded part, making sure not to cover up the overflow drain hole.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
I throw away the included rubber/foam washer that's supposed to replace the putty. They are more a cushion and usually don't fit the sink drain shape. I don't know about expensive, high quality fixtures.:smile: There is putty, not oil based, that's safe for stone materials. If not at box stores, search plumbing or pro stores. The seal above is not as important as the seal under the sink. The bevel rubber pressure washer needs centering and care. Some cheaper fixtures with plastic tail piece may give you very poor seal with this rubber washer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.