DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We needed to renovate our bathroom which had recently been knocked through (toilet/original small bathroom), and decided to go solo on it, to gain experience more than save money, anyway here are some pics, in the end were very pleased with the result. I’m in IT as a job, this took me 3 months (slowly but surely), so I won’t be quitting my day job just yet!..
Tap Plumbing fixture Bathtub Sink Property

Architecture Wood Wall Composite material Material property

Window Property Building Fixture Wood

Bathtub Plumbing fixture Property Tap Window

Wood Building Flooring Rectangle Floor

Shower door Property Plumbing fixture Shower Building

Wood Rectangle Fixture Gas Tints and shades

Plumbing fixture Building Bathroom Sink Tap

Mirror Sink Tap Plumbing fixture Black

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job. I'm curious how you arrived at the tile pattern. How did you decide how to cut the tiles at the floor level, and at the tub level?
Thanks. When I was planning the tiling, I did a lot of research into the different patterns, sizes etc, and finally decided on larger tiles in a brick bond style- though the tiles I purchased are porcelain, very tough to cut and drill through! I left the gap at the floor so I could get the floor tiles underneath, the rest fell where it did, granted it wasn’t the easiest to work with, but in the end it’s worked out ok

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
I left the gap at the floor so I could get the floor tiles underneath, the rest fell where it did
But that's my question. First of all, if the floor tiles were installed first, you could have simply put the tiles on top of them to begin with (with a spacer). Even if you wanted to use a ledger board (which you wouldn't have needed) you still could have put a full tile on the bottom by spacing it correctly. You would have had 2 tiles that looked basically full on the tub side, and on the wall it would have gone just a bit higher using full tiles but the walls have an arbitrary stopping point. It's possible this would have left you a thin sliver of tile above the tub edge, but if that was the case you could have simply gone in the other direction so a full tile started above the tub.

·
Naildriver
18,593 Posts
Looks really good. The only thing I would have done differently is in your shower. The running bond in the corner should have ended with a long/short tile rather than short/short and long/long. No big deal, as you did a superb job with the renovation. Congratulations.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The only comment I would provide is the use of all those quick connect style fitting for the plumbing. They all use a mechanical fitting/O-ring and anything mechanical can fail. Putting those types of fittings in a sealed wall or floor can be problematic.

A bit of learning of copper soldering would have provided a true long term solution and would allow you to sleep well at night.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.