DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I was hoping to find a topic on the order of steps for a full bathroom remodeling for us rookies, but I guess there hasn't been one yet. Can we have PROs put the following in the right order (as they would approach the remodeling process)?
  • Demolish vanity/tub/shower/toilet/walls/floors/ceiling
  • Update plumbing
  • Update electrical
  • Update subfloor
  • Install bathroom fan
  • Install new tub
  • Install new shower
  • Prepare walls for tiling (i.e. install backer board)
  • Prepare floor for tiling (i.e. install backer board)
  • Install wall tiles
  • Install floor tiles
  • Install vanity
  • Install toilet
  • Install cabinets
Did I miss anything?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
You demo from the top down, you rebuild from the floor up with the exception of any painting needing to be done.
Why chance dripping paint on your finished floor?
Tile the floor before the walls.
Make sure the bathroom is on it's own 20 amp. 12-2 wire GFI protected circuit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You demo from the top down, you rebuild from the floor up with the exception of any painting needing to be done.
Why chance dripping paint on your finished floor?
Tile the floor before the walls.
Make sure the bathroom is on it's own 20 amp. 12-2 wire GFI protected circuit.
Thanks.
What's the advantage of tiling floor before the walls? I thought of doing it in the reverse order to prevent any accidental damage or staining to the floor (i.e. knowing me, from dripping mortar).

·
Registered
5,149 Posts
Your list looks pretty good and the order mostly right.

I suspect you missed some drywall and the finishing of it. Make sure that happens and painted before you put your floor down. Also don't be cheap at least buy some red paper to protect the floor as you work on it. The tile should not stain but the grout will.

I like to set the toilet flange after the finished floor; that insures a good seal at the flange. Yes' if you are doing a subfloor you are going to need a new flange. :)

Reactions: Fixif
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.