DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just took down the wall paper in my master bathroom. Due to no fan the Sheetrock by the shower has a little mold on it. What do I need to do before I paint the walls.

·
Rubbin walls since'79
2,518 Posts
First- make sure you get as much paper adhesive off that you can, Then take a weak houshod bleach solution, ( capful in a cup or 2) , and kill the mold with that and let dry. Prime all with Zinnser Gardz, will seal the wall and any residue adhesive, great primer for finishes.
Paint with at least an eggshell finish , hopefully one meant for baths because of the no fan.
good luck!

·
Rubbin walls since'79
2,518 Posts
First- they're installing a fan. Second, eggshell works fine , yes it does. Unless you make a sauna out of the bathroom.
That said, some paints are MUCH better than others. I won't name names...

·
Registered
163 Posts
imho depending on paint manufacture you could not the difference between eggshell and satin :wink:
While there's no set standard for shine in the paint industry, most satins are usually shinier than eggshell. The paint I sell, P&L, their satin is shinier than eggshell. But why not use a satin? I find satin to be the best shine anyways in bathrooms and in some cases is more moisture resistant than eggshells. Yeah, there is a fan, but WHY NOT GO WITH SOMETHING that would be more resistant just in case? I really like P&L's Porcelain line, the satin finish looks very nice. I sell a lot of that paint

·
2,392 Posts
I'm not disagreeing, just answering Chrisn's question. However, I'm experiencing some failure on a bath I did a few months back with eggshell. The wall area above the tub where the water would hit after deflecting off the guy's noggin, is beginning to peel. Other than the fact that I used Super Spec, which doesn't have the same qualities as Regal, I can't figure out why. I doubt water would penetrate two coats of even SS. It actually looks more like the moisture is coming from inside the wall, but there is no possible source for that. I'm going to repair it and buy a quart of Regal to repaint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts