DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a home that needs many walls to be improved. Most concerning is the bathroom wall that has high gloss paint peeling from where bubbles burst. Was able to remove sheets of elastic color down to the drywall. However, it does not peel off in all areas so I have large patches of removed paint mixed with existing color. How do I remove the remaining color or should I just sand over existing color, then prime and paint? THANKS in advance.

·
Coatings Nerd
364 Posts
should I just sand over existing color, then prime and paint? THANKS in advance.
:yes:

Sand any edges, depending on how many coats of paint there are, you may need to skim coat the damaged areas, you'll have to determine that. Lightly pole sand the high gloss, then prime and paint. I would use a bonding primer, such as Benjamin Moore Fresh Start, on Insulx Stix. ( two good ones ) Brand doesnt really matter as long as its a "bonding" primer. Finish can be whatever you like provided there is no moisture or mildew problems.

·
Coatings Nerd
364 Posts
NCpaint1, I'm a novice and need help with vocab. What is skim coat and what is pole sanding?
Skim coat is a thin coat of joint compound to fill in any low areas. Depending on how many coats of paint are on the wall that have come off. Will it be noticeable once the edges are sanded smooth? If so then you may need to even that area out with a thin coat of drywall mud ( joint compound )

Pole sanding is exactly that.... a hand sander, on a pole :thumbup: Just makes it easier when you have a whole wall to do, instead of using a sanding block and climbing up and down a ladder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts