DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, let me explain my situation in detail. As we really need some advise / help.

We did some interior design renovation on our 2nd floor guest bathroom. As part of the work, we removed a GFCI outlet that was placed close to the toilet.

We removed the wall plate and took all 6 hanging wires (2 hot, 2 ground, 2 neutral) and covered them with wire nuts. Then after we use electrical tape to cover them more and just left them behind the drywall. We placed new drywall to cover the plate hole and secured it in.

It looks like during that process, our 1st floor master's bathroom outlets stopped working. No electricity on all the outlets inside that bathroom at all. The outlets in the master's bathroom is not GFCI.

I located all of the GFCI outlets on ALL the parts of the house and tried to reset but no luck. We reset the breaker panel, on-off with everything and no luck.

Can you give advise on what else to do to get power back to the master's bathroom?
Do I need to take out the outlet wires i hid on the second floor and put an outlet out again? Is there another option.

Please help!

·
Registered
36 Posts
You need to tie those wires back together and not bury boxes buy a blank plate instead. And stop doing hack work and then put the gfci you took out in the master bath.

Living the dream one nightmare at a time.

·
Super Moderator
15,354 Posts
It needs to go back the way it was.

Why were you worried about a GFI protected receptacle near the toilet?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi All, let me explain my situation in detail. As we really need some advise / help.

We did some interior design renovation on our 2nd floor guest bathroom. As part of the work, we removed a GFCI outlet that was placed close to the toilet.

We removed the wall plate and took all 6 hanging wires (2 hot, 2 ground, 2 neutral) and covered them with wire nuts. Then after we use electrical tape to cover them more and just left them behind the drywall. We placed new drywall to cover the plate hole and secured it in.

It looks like during that process, our 1st floor master's bathroom outlets stopped working. No electricity on all the outlets inside that bathroom at all. The outlets in the master's bathroom is not GFCI.

I located all of the GFCI outlets on ALL the parts of the house and tried to reset but no luck. We reset the breaker panel, on-off with everything and no luck.

Can you give advise on what else to do to get power back to the master's bathroom?
Do I need to take out the outlet wires i hid on the second floor and put an outlet out again? Is there another option.

Please help!
Wire connections have to be in closed boxes and cannot be buried behind drywall. They have to be accessible by code because one day a connection will come loose.

So open up the wall and either put a GFCI outlet back where you took one out, or put a box with a blank plate over it. If you do the blank plate and it doesn't look good, hang something innocuous over it (although not from it) or put a little hinged door on the wall over it that will look okay.

Your only other option is to run a new circuit that bypasses that location--but make sure you add GFCI protection to the rest of the circuit. The power to the master bath had flowed through that outlet, so it was protected; you need to make sure it's still protected to be to code for the downstairs bathroom. You can either do that with a GFI outlet or a GFI breaker.

Also, it sounds like you're new to this. Watch some youtube videos and read up a bit. Learn how to use a non-contact voltage detector if you haven't already. Make sure your connections are good because if they're not and there's too little surface area in contact, they will overheat and can start a fire. Look into the permitting process in your municipality. And never, ever, work on a circuit when there's power to it.

Take it slow, think everything through, and ask for help if you aren't sure about something. If you are ever not 110% sure you can do something safely, call an electrician. It's not worth someone's life or having the house burn down.

Note: I'm a DiYer, not an electrician. I'm also not sure offhand what code requires in terms of whether the renovated bathroom needs its own circuit, etc...

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,371 Posts
Agree with all the above answers above.

Question; You say you put wire nuts on wires, did you connect them together? White to white, black to black and ground to ground?

Reactions: Hick and Yodaman

·
Property Mgt/Maint
6,660 Posts
Good catch, we all just assumed they were not connected and that is problem.
He could in fact have another issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the feedback.

I didn't tie them. All 6 wires have 6 wire nuts separately so they do not touch each other. In addition to electric tape around them.

I took off this outlet because when the house was built, it really just looked awkward. Also there are other outlets in this small bathroom that this outlet is not really needed.

It sounds to me that I have to make a hole back on my drywall and either put a GFCI outlet back or put a box with a blank plate over it. It is just really unfortunate that my 1st floor master bath is tied to the second floor guest bathroom GFI and on this specific outlet. :-( :-(

I guess, I am back to opening the wall again.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Agree with all the above answers above.

Question; You say you put wire nuts on wires, did you connect them together? White to white, black to black and ground to ground?
Good catch, we all just assumed they were not connected and that is problem.
He could in fact have another issue.
I assumed he did connect the wires together & thus was curious why no-one was addressing this.

If he wire nuts all the corresponding wires together then not seeing the issue. If he simply wire-nutted them separate from one another then of course you have broken the circuit, nothing will work.

Far as the plate, yes that is code & it would of made your problem much easier since now you have to remove drywall. Will it work without the plate? yes, but I do not advocate that...because it isnt code :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
edit: since I cannot edit correctly.

I didn't tie them. All 6 wires have 6 wire nuts separately so they do not touch each other. In addition to electric tape around them.
Your issue is not the cover plate. A cover plate will not magically solve your problem. You need to wire all the blacks to each other, all the whites to each other, All the green/bare wire to each other, & any other colors you might have (you shouldn't)

The outlet was completing the circuit, without the outlet you have broken the circuit. You must reconnect the curcuit. THEN, place an outlet cover on it.

If you are unsure how to wire the wires together correctly do not attempt to do so, pay an electrician to come do it for you. Maximum I could see for that, around 50 bucks.

·
Registered
724 Posts
edit: since I cannot edit correctly.

Your issue is not the cover plate. A cover plate will not magically solve your problem. You need to wire all the blacks to each other, all the whites to each other, All the green/bare wire to each other, & any other colors you might have (you shouldn't)

The outlet was completing the circuit, without the outlet you have broken the circuit. You must reconnect the curcuit. THEN, place an outlet cover on it.

If you are unsure how to wire the wires together correctly do not attempt to do so, pay an electrician to come do it for you. Maximum I could see for that, around 50 bucks.
And don't forget to make sure there's still GFI protection on the rest of the circuit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts