DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all ...

I am redoing my bathroom, and now that it's time to do the insulation, this old house is coming back to haunt me. Nothing in it is on center, some studs are 6 inches apart, others are 20+ or more, and they're all different sizes (The house is from 1885)

So my question is, I know I can cut the insulation to fit nicely in the small spaces, but what should I do if I have say, a 2 foot section to cover, and my insulation is only 16 inches wide? I can cut another piece and fit it in to cover the whole area, but that leaves me a nice open space for cold air to get through between the batting. Should I just slap some duct tape on there and hope for the best? Going the route of getting wider insulation is not possible for me at the moment (Spent my 3k budget and a little more already, so money is tight) but I'm not sure a little tape on there is going to do much?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should have had 23" wide insulation. But you can always cut 20" turn it sidesways and put it in a 20" space.
So does that mean that putting some tape over the seams between them should work just fine?

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
In recent years the emphasis on vapor barriers has declined. The reality is, they are not needed in most climates except the far north and deep south (or where code still requires them because they are 20 years behind the science).

The other reality is, a few gaps do little to defeat the vapor barrier performance. Decorate a wall covered with Kraft faced insulation and remove 10% or it by cutting diamonds out and you still have 90% of your vapor barrier.

If the tape makes you happier go for it. What's your climate zone and does your local code require a VB?

Bud

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in central Michigan, so yes, it's somewhat far north :) As for the code, I honestly have no idea. Nothing in this house is up to code to be perfectly frank about it, so I really haven't looked into it, just redoing my bathroom quietly by myself lol

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
Cut the length a 1/2" long for a tight fit and install them sideways. Vertically just snug them together nice and tight. If you want the Vb you can tape the seams of cover the entire wall with a plastic vapor barrier. in many cases the coat of paint provides sufficient moisture protection. The most important improvement is to be sure the walls are well air sealed.

Bud

Reactions: Jax2
1 - 9 of 9 Posts