DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. My wife and I are doing a bathroom remodel for my 85 yr old father in law. I would love a detailed wiring diagram for the below picture. I know its a heavy load but the lights are all led and the outlets are rarely used. Its a 14-2 wire coming from the panel to the first switch and there's no easy way to fish in a new line. The ending is also still in place and intact. The diagram is in order from distance to panel but the part I need help with is all within 80 sq ft or so, so it could go in any order. Thank you for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a few thoughts. First, are you going to have this inspected? You should be OK with the number of receptacles on the circuit, but mixing lights and outlets complicates things a little bit. The load isn't all that heavy, if you use LED lights. But it's important to know that unless your lights ONLY use LED lights (i.e. can't use regular light bulbs), you have to rate them at the full wattage they can accept to determine if the circuit might be overloaded. Even if you will only ever use LED lights. This is where it might get complicated if you are going to have this inspected by your local inspector.

Second, look at how you're going to connect your outlets and lights. For example, you have a GFI outlet coming off the light bulb on the left hand side of your diagram. The way you have this mapped, everything from that light over will be tied to the first switch. So when that switch is off, everything else will be off.

You can solve this by either running a new wire/circuit from the panel, or running a second wire out of that switch box that isn't connected to the switch. Also look at this in some of the other areas, you have feeds to outlets coming off lights and switches. Sometimes you might want a switch to control an outlet (for example a garbage disposal), but I'm guessing in most of these you don't.

Hopefully that makes sense and starts to be a little helpful.

·
Super Moderator
21,632 Posts
Label the switches s1,s2,s3 etc. and matching lights L1,L2, L3 etc. so we know which switch controls which lights.

·
Registered
96 Posts
That's a very good and important point. Technically, if you are going to meet code, your bathroom needs to be wired for 20 amps. At least the outlet/receptacle does. Lights can be on a separate circuit but don't have to be. But that outlet circuit can't be shared outside the bathroom, I don't believe.

If you're going to have this inspected, you will fail inspection if you don't use 12 ga. wire for the bathroom outlet and support 20 amps at that location.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. This will not be inspected. The circuit does run outside the bathroom but was wired that way originally. The order of the circuit can be adjusted as its all in a 10x10 bathroom. Fishing a new line to the panel will be incredibly tricky

·
Registered
350 Posts
There's no code issue with the "number of receptacles on a circuit." There is very much a problem with extending circuits into bathrooms (can't tell if your existing is limited to the bathroom) and putting in receptacles on 15A circuits (implied by your use of 14-2 wiring).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts