DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Solutions (handyman)
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked to install replacement flooring in a local community center and my question is, what is recommended for such a hall with a fair amount of traffic. Bathroom is relatively small (16' x 9') with one sink, one urinal and two toilet stalls. The client is cost minded but I want to install the best wearing product possible. My thoughts are, sheet vinyl, vinyl tiles, vinyl boards. Any other suggestions? Anyone experienced this before? Perhaps commercial tiles?
Appreciate any input with pros and cons. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,159 Posts
I'd think cleaning is a major factor. Dripping mop cleaning with commercial grade cleaners and disinfectants, People tracking in mud, snow, rain. I don't think any fit-together panels will work, esp if underlayment or subfloor is wood. If the center can be closed, I'd use ceramic tiles and thinset. If not, cement underlayment, prime, then commercial vinyl tiles with glue. Vinyl tiles should be sealed.

My guess, though. I've never done commercial works. Any engineered material, check the warranty for commercial use. It's fairly short.

·
Hammered Thumb
4,164 Posts
I have been asked to install replacement flooring
community center
one sink, one urinal and two toilet stalls
client is cost minded
best wearing product possible
There are competing interests stated here. The amount of abuse a multi-stall bathroom can take from the public is unimaginable. And assume you have at least 2 bathrooms to boot.

The better (modular) finish for heavy foot traffic in a bathroom that is also cost-conscious is ceramic tile with ceramic cove base.

You could go with VCT with vinyl base, not a problem were it a single stall. With multiple stalls, be prepared for more maintenance and replacing tiles and base periodically.

·
Premium Member
8,049 Posts
Luxury Vinyl planks would work well in that environment. I install them a few times a year. Our local Hospice has them in ALL of their rooms and you can imagine the abuse they take from foot traffic, bodily fluids, continuous cleaning, etc. It is holding up well and I know it was installed 8 or 9 years ago. In my own home I have luxury vinyl planks through out my whole first floor. My family of four + 2 pets put it through all kinds of abuse and it looks as good as the day we installed it. I even use my carpet scrubber on it about once a month to remove those sticky spots where someone unknowingly spilled some of their drinks.

·
Hammered Thumb
4,164 Posts
If using LVT it should be glue-down, commercial grade (designed with thicker wear layer, resistant to bathroom chemicals like sanitizers, slip resistant = high coefficient of friction not obtained by pressed-in patterns), not the same stuff HD sells for your house. There are tons of options, but if you look at Armstrong, Tarkett or Mannington they will only recommend a couple lines for bathroom use.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
9,300 Posts
I would never use vinyl planks in a commercial application.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ceramic tiles will have the greatest durability. A problem with linoleum is that wherever people stand and then turn they will be wearing down the material. You can get solid linoleum but it will be much more expensive than ceramic floor tiles.

Another option is to acid stain and seal the concrete and not have anything on top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.