DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to run a separate line for the bathroom fan's light, and night light. I will also run a dedicated separate line for the heater part of the fan per the instructions from the manufacturer. . Having explained this, since I am running a separate line for the light and night light(duplex switch) part of the fan I also want to use this same line to feed the vent fan which will be on a wind up timer switch , a single pole switch for light over medicine cabinet and GFCI outlet. Now my question : should I run this separate line for the light, night light part of the bathroom fan to the attic add a junction box and from the junction box send a supply or feed to the duplex switch, light, night light , then send out another separate supply or feed from the junction box down to the fan timer and single pole switch to light over medicine cabinent and GFCI outlet. Or should I just run this separate line straight to the duplex switch for the light, night light then from the duplex switch feed the vent fan timer switch then single pole switch for light over medicine cabinet and GFCI ?

·
Electrician
377 Posts
I'd avoid a junction box if possible. Saves me from having to go into the attic to troubleshoot if something happens.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi, GFCI receptacle will require a dedicated circuit, I believe, how many boxes are you planning, what is this duplex switch, or are talking about a 2 gang box ?
light, night light, fan timer, light over medicine cab, would be a 4 gang box, GFCI receptacle in a different location?

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,337 Posts
If the circuit is 20 amp dedicated to that bath. The fan and light can be on the same circuit as the GFCI receptacle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, GFCI receptacle will require a dedicated circuit, I believe, how many boxes are you planning, what is this duplex switch, or are talking about a 2 gang box ?
light, night light, fan timer, light over medicine cab, would be a 4 gang box, GFCI receptacle in a different location?
Hi : as I enter bathroom on my right is a single pole switch for the original light. I want to add a( duplex switch) for light, night light in a single gang in the same hole that is home to present light switch. Across to the left as I enter the bathroom is a 2 gang box that presently is home to GFCI and single pole switch(for light over medicine cabinet). I will expand the 2 gang to 3 gang and that 3 gang will be home to a timer for the fan and single pole switch for light over medicine cabinet and GFCI.

·
Super Moderator
13,928 Posts
I would run one circuit for the fan, light and heat. Much safer to only need to deal with one circuit than multiple circuits. Also, the junction boxes on the fan are small.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would run one circuit for the fan, light and heat. Much safer to only need to deal with one circuit than multiple circuits. Also, the junction boxes on the fan are small.
This is exactly what I am thinking about and dealing with ! The manufacturer said dedicated circuit for the heater component of the fan. Okay fine. Then I believe code for GFCI is a home run or dedicated circuit for a GFCI outlet. Of course I have the lights and fan part of the Bathroom fan. Apparently, I have to run three circuits for a bathroom ? ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The heat element is probably 1500 watts which is 12 amps. That leaves plenty on a 20 amp circuit for the fan and light.
Thank you Guys ! I really appreciate your help. Per the instructions : the heater consumes 1,425 watts. The vent uses 29.5 watts. The light is 26 watts and the night light is 4 watts.

·
Super Moderator
13,928 Posts
One 20 amp circuit for the unit will be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts