DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to see if anyone has done this/recognize any issues/have any suggestions?

I'm renovating an addition to a 100yr old house. Changing the ceiling to a vaulted ceiling (except for last, highest 4 feet next to original structure, which will be flat) to give more spacious feel. In this addition I have a 3 piece bathroom with vaulted ceiling over the (2 piece, 30" x 48") shower. The shower light will be on the vaulted ceiling which has about a 10 degree slope.

Any issues putting the light at an angle? Should i move the light 6" down the slope to give a better spread in the shower? I'll put the damp location light in an I.C. box so that I can insulate around it. I don't think I can get a damp or wet rate recessed light with a tilt bulb. My other option would be to mount the light level and spend more time with the drywall seams around it but don't want to do that. The fan will be on the upper 4' flat section so no issues there.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
The trim does not need to be wet rated unless it is subject to shower spray, so if it is above 8' from the tub/shower curb you can use nearly any trim you like.
If it's not high enough a shower trim will be fine IMO considering that slope.

Personally I'd use a regular LED trim. 10 deg is not very much slope at all.

·
JOATMON
15,327 Posts
Duane....your describing my master bath....except I don't have a light over the shower. Plenty of lights to the side (glass walls)

The only thing you need to be cognizant of is to make sure the trim is airtight and IC (Insulation Contact) rated. Of course I'm assuming the vaulted ceiling will be the bottom of your roof rafters.....and all of that will be stuffed with insulation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all. My ceiling joists are 8'10" from subfloor, so I'll be ok with any light, but sticking with the inexpensive damp location light I purchased.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just looking over the responses again and I was planning to install a pre-formed vapour barrier and metal IC box, so I'm not going to have much room for insulation above that - could be a concern... I'll take another look today to see if I've planned a cold spot!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts