DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Existing Broan 757PT ventilation fan/light installed in existing bathroom.

http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=100285

I need to get at the wiring and there is absolutely NO way I can find to do that without removing the whole box, which is anchored to joists above the ceiling. There is no way to pull just the fan motor down through the housing. Anybody got any tips on what I may be missing? Do I really need to basically uninstall this thing to access wiring?

·
Scared Electrician
715 Posts
why do you need to access the wire?

·
Electrical Contractor
127 Posts
If you look at pg. 4 of the installation guide, it shows you how to remove the motor and get to the electrical connection box.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
That was the first place I looked. The dashed boxes show what comes as a unit. I thought the flat plate with the motor attached would drop down, but I spent 15 minutes on it, trying to loosen the tab connections, but that doesn't seem to work. I will try again. I need to access the wire because it was connected to some outlets I need to remove as part of a kitchen renovation. I can't abandon the live wire up in the ceiling, so I am trying to disconnect it from the adjacent room's fan, to leave only the fan on the circuit.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can take up a portion of the subfloor in the level above, but since I didn't install the fan, I don't know if there is any way to access the wires from above either.

·
Super Moderator
15,298 Posts
Deflect the housing outward near each of the tabs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn, Jim! That was easy. I kept trying to push up on the plate, but the housing is such that there is no way to move it upward. Doing as you said worked great. Thanks so much for sparing my wife from hearing even more foul language!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts