DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the old pop-up drain assembly in a bathroom sink but am having trouble re-attaching it to the drainpipe. The old homeowner shoved a gasket into a 1 1/2 inch abs adapter and it was always leaking so I removed it and am trying to put the steel tailpiece into an 1 1/4 adapter I got but the gasket inside is small and plastic and does not really tighten. Did I get the wrong peice?

There is no P-trap below the sink, it's a double sink vanity and the p-trap is in the center at the junction between sink 1 and 2.

The adapter I got is the one in the picture except its a 1 1/2 to 1 1/4/

Attachments

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
I replaced the old pop-up drain assembly in a bathroom sink but am having trouble re-attaching it to the drainpipe. The old homeowner shoved a gasket into a 1 1/2 inch abs adapter and it was always leaking so I removed it and am trying to put the steel tailpiece into an 1 1/4 adapter I got but the gasket inside is small and plastic and does not really tighten. Did I get the wrong peice?

There is no P-trap below the sink, it's a double sink vanity and the p-trap is in the center at the junction between sink 1 and 2.

The adapter I got is the one in the picture except its a 1 1/2 to 1 1/4/
Please post a picture. If there is no trap, you have other major issues that also need fixing.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
Please follow the drain pipe and snap some more pictures. You do not seem to have any trap that provides a seal against sewer gas.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's >100 years old house so I have no idea what the plumbing looks like or if there's even a vent stack

The issue I was having mainly was getting the drain assembly back into the ABS. I used a 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 reducer and stuck a reducing washer in there(very first pic) but it always seems to leak out either where the tailpiece connects into the body and where the tailpiece enters the adapter. Did I use the wrong pieces?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

1 1/4 by 1 1/4 Beveled Slip Joint Washer
This should fix your leak make sure the sloped side of the washer is going towards the ground.
I have one it came with the 1 1/4 adapter but it's too loose and the tailpiece isn't gripped by it so I grabbed a rubber washer and it worked better but still doesn't, something sort of like this Delta Gasket Bathroom / Kitchen Faucet.
Does everything else on the drainpipe look allright? I'm starting to think I got the wrong adapter or something, can I use this kind instead? https://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/trap-adapter-flexible-dtc-150-lg.jpg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When you installed your beveled washer did you have the taper part going toward the ground?
I tried both ways and had better results with the washer placed like it is in the picture. It leaks less from that connection now but it comes from the tailpiece instead.
Rectangle Parallel Font Number Drawing

·
Super Moderator
7,092 Posts
That's the correct position. Maybe you're tail piece is too short or it's not aligned properly.

Imo, I don't like all glued abs or pvc fittings under the sink. I like to be able to take them apart if needed to clean and snake.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're not by any chance trying to use a 1.5" drain on a 1.25" tailpiece, are you?
You're not by any chance trying to use a 1.5" drain on a 1.25" tailpiece, are you?
Yes but I have a 1 1/2 to 1 1/4 adapter on it. The tail piece just doesn't fit without a washer and the washer doesn't really do the job. I wanted to put one of those rubber adapters with gear clamps on it instead is that acceptable?

I also don't need the drain stopper so was gonna swap out for a click one so I don't have the extra hole.

·
Registered
384 Posts
In the post 4 the pic , The top part of The adapter looks to be upside down compared to post number one picture this would be a problem because I cannot pull the washer down where it needs to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In the post 4 the pic , The top part of The adapter looks to be upside down compared to post number one picture this would be a problem because I cannot pull the washer down where it needs to go

I don't follow, I don't think it was upside down or I wouldn't ahve been able to tighten anything.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, if the collar was upside down it wouldn't thread onto the adapter below it.
It threads I can feel it engage and it's definitely on there. The only issue is there seems to be not a perfectly tight seal as it will leak if I fill the sink and let it drain all at once.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Look at the tiny little tits that are hanging in there in one picture they are on the top part in the other picture they were in the bottom part they should be on the bottom of that part

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Figured it out guys, cut my pipe apart and it was so clogged up with crap that it would back up to the connection of the tailpiece and drainpipe and spill out. I took it out and retightened everything and it was all good.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts