DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a cheap over-the-toilet bathroom cabinet for our spare bathroom, Lowes website states it to be 27lb. The only stud behind the toilet is not dead center to the toilet, but slightly off-center.

So my question is this... can I use strong anchors to attach 4 mounting points for the cabinet into the drywall, and if so, any in particular?

OR - should I mount two places off center on the stud, keeping the cabinet centered above the toilet?

Any reasoning for either one that would educate me for future similar circumstances?

·
A "Handy Husband"
14,110 Posts
Agree, 2 screws in stud, 2 toggle bolts. Cabinet is 27 pounds plus the 100 your wife will load it with.

Sent from my RCT6A03W13E using Tapatalk

Reactions: lenaitch

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
None. Just showing that it can be mounted through drywall and if so, screw through all 4 corners. It was very poor and vague

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
With this information a French Cleat mount comes to mind as a possibility. Two #12 or #14 screws into the stud holding 1x4 cleat and if necessary a Moly etc. at each end then the cabinet can be centered at will by just sliding L or R.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
I definitely disagree with the EZ Anchor approach. I don't like them in general, but in this case they definitely shouldn't be holding up the cabinet, and if the cabinet does connect to a stud, there are better anchors than those as well for the secondary holes.

How wide is your cabinet and how far off center is it? Assuming it contacts 1 stud somewhere, you should put 2 vertical screws (near top and bottom) along that stud. If the cabinet is not too wide and it's near center, that might do it. Otherwise Toggler SnapToggles are a good choice for the second pair of holes. Even if you can't find a stud, 4 of those would be quite adequate for sturdy drywall.

http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/installation.php

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.