DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to replace the drain in my bathtub. I have bought 3 different drains and none will screw in all the way. One hardward store employee said that some manufacturers may have different threads on their drains and that is why the drains I have purchased won't fit properly.

I can take the existing drain out no problem, and install it again with no problems. But any new drain doesn't seem to fit. Any recommendations on how to replace this drain?

·
Doing it myself
3,838 Posts
You probably need to buy a whole new waste and overflow kit if you're having that much trouble with it.

·
Man of many hats
642 Posts
Take the original drain to a plumbing supply store, not a box store and they should be able to match it up. There are many different size/thread combos, You are probably trying to fit a 'B' dreain into a 'B-2' tub shoe, or vice versa. I've run into situations where the tub shoe were unusually shallow as well and ended up having to do as the previous post suggested and replacing the overflow and shoe assembly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
tub thread

I have the same exact issue, new tub drains from the big box hardware stores tend to have too much thread and bottom out in my drain before they tighten up and seal. I will try the plumbing supply suggestion and let you know what I find.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts