DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My electrician called last minute and my drywallers are coming to close up some rooms. I have to finish off a couple of outlets and switches and just want to get confirmation that this will be ok and my logic works. Keep in mind that I am totally new to this and will have an electricial make the connections.

Power => 12-2 wire => switch => 12-3 wire => light => 12-2 wire => outlet => 12-2 wire => switch => 12-3 wire => light => 12-2 wire => outlet => 12-2 wire => outlet.

I hope that makes sense. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Not really, guy. What are you trying to do?

With the 12/3, are you going to be switching any lights or outlets (receptacles) at two different locations?

So, you have:
2 Switches
2 Lights
3 Outlets?

What types of switches do you have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
The switches are single pole and the reason for this odd configuration is because it spans a couple of really small rooms and a small hallway. There is no 3-way happening but figured I needed the 3 wire to keep the power moving in the circuit so the outlets were not switched.

And actually I realized that there is a 4th outlet which I would place after the first light. Perhaps there is a better plan. Sorry for such a lame question.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
I get what you're doing, and it sounds right. The convention is to use the red conductor in the 12/3 for the switched conductor and black for the constant hot. It is a bit unusual to run things as you've described, though. More typically, the receptacles would all be strung together and each light/switch would branch off from a nearby receptacle. It generally saves wire and is easier to run that way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ohhh, ok, I think I get it. So in that case I would run all of the 12-2 to all outlets from the power and then run 12-2 to the switch out of a nearby receptacle and then again 12-2 to the light or do I need 12-3 in that setup?

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Ohhh, ok, I think I get it. So in that case I would run all of the 12-2 to all outlets from the power and then run 12-2 to the switch out of a nearby receptacle and then again 12-2 to the light or do I need 12-3 in that setup?
You got it. No 12/3 needed at all unless you want to prewire for fans at the light locations, in which case you just run 12/3 from the switch to the light. I'd recommend it if you think there's any chance someone might want a fan there someday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts