DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am working on a tiki hut for my deck which is going to be a bit large at 6 foot deep with a 10 foot span from end post to end post... I have a total of four 4 by 4 posts with the bar frame built off of them, the posts are 7 feet tall...

I am looking for the best way to build a roof frame for the posts for a simple gable or hip roof style... should I just frame mitered 2 by 6 around the top secured with lag screws (or all the way through with carriage bolts?) or build a top plate with 4 by 4 (4 by 6?) on top of the 4 by 4 posts?

I am looking to do something simple like this picture, but mine is 2 feet deeper and 2 feet longer span and just want to assure it will be correct...

Thanks for any help

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should say... If I followed the design of the picture, would framing around the posts with 2 by 6 and attaching to the posts with 1/2inch 3 1/2 lag screws be a sound structure for a 10 foot span?

Thanks for any help!

·
Framing Contractor
1,512 Posts
It depends where you live. Is there a snow load to contend with. A single 2x6 seems to skimpy even in an ideal climate though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I am on the jersey shore and there is a snowload to deal with.... just lookingfor the best way to do this...

Thanks for any help...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
would 4 by 4 across the top notched on the corners be better or 4 by 6 maybe? or if 2 by 6 around the posts seems scimpy would a 2 by 8 be good enough?

Thanks for any help, I just looking for the best way to plan this...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts