DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a downflow furnace and I'm changing the filters. I always have trouble doing this because there's some kind of padding installed in the compartment where the filters go, so the standard filter size (14x20) doesn't fit well. What function does this padding have? (It seems to mostly collect dust.) Can I rip it out, or would that be a bad idea?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more questions

Thanks for the reply. Can I ask a couple of follow-up questions:

This duct is where the cold air comes in, so I don't get why it needs insulation. What is being insulated?

If I can't remove this insulation and there isn't a filter size that fits well b/c of it, what's your advice for installing a filter? There doesn't seem to be another place to install one.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Is the unit in an attic or unheated area? Insulation is there to reduce sound and to keep any unwanted heat or cold from entering the return air supply. My installers/sheet metal fab guy sometimes install a 1" filter rack in the return air duct so you can use a slide in filter. You would have to find someone who does that. Much better idea to have that installed as you can then use better quality standard filters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The unit is in a heated laundry/utility room. The insulation is only in the filter compartment, it doesn't extend any further up the duct. If there's a way to make this better accept the higher quality standard size filters w/o having new work done, I'll want to do that. Otherwise I'll leave it as-is, since this furnace will be sold with the house when we move in a year or two.

·
Administrator
42,489 Posts
Not all brands of air filters are the size listed. Look(take a tape measure along with you) for a filter that is 1/4" shorter then its listing/or what the current ones you use are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.