DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

I am trying to build myself a little coffee roaster using a DC motor and a speed regulator. The DC motor uses 2.6 A current and 12V to 24V voltage. The speed regulator is 6V 3A. I also use a AC - DC converter to power my DC motor, and this is rated 6V 800mA.

Now the DC motor runs fine ( although too fast) when connected directly to the power. When I add the speed regulator in between to slow it down, it doesn't work at all. I was wondering if the speed regulator isn't working because it is rater 3A but my DC convertor is only rated 800mA? Or maybe I just have a defective speed regulator?

Could someone help me out with this?

Much thanks

Sid

·
Registered
9,361 Posts
Is the speed regulator meant for direct current?
Some are for alternating current only.

·
Super Moderator
21,812 Posts
The 3 amp rating on the regulator is the max amps it can handle. Unless it also has a minimum requirement it should work fine.
However the DC motor rating of 2.6 amp is too high for the .8 amp rating of the supply.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the speed regulator meant for direct current?
Some are for alternating current only.
Thank you for responding Allen.

"This DC motor speed controller allows controlling the direction of a DC motor using a pulse width modulated (pwm) DC voltage with a duty cycle fully adjustable from 0 percent 100 percent. The motor speed controller can easily provide a continuous current of3a to your DC motor or other DC load. Main technical parameters: input supply voltage: 6v28vDC the maximum output power: 80w the maximum continuous output current: 3a duty cycle adjustable: 5 percent 100 percent quantity" . - This is the description of the item. it seems that the regulator is meant for DC motor use after all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 3 amp rating on the regulator is the max amps it can handle. Unless it also has a minimum requirement it should work fine.
However the DC motor rating of 2.6 amp is too high for the .8 amp rating of the supply.
Thanks for responding Joed. I thought about that as well, but the DC motor works fine when connected directly through the 0.8A plug, albeit too fast. (hence the regulator). The current setup works fine without the regulator, so im trying to figure out if im doing something wrong with the regulator or if the regulator is faulty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So here's my face palm moment!!! The chinese manufacturer had swapped out the polarity labels. With nothing to lose, i tried the opposite of what was indicated and IT WORKED!!!!

Thanks for your thoughts guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts