DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone; looking for some advice on how to case and trim 4 of my basement windows. The framing and drywall are already done and the framer did a rough estimate for the existing windows. As a result I cannot just attach the window box to the existing framing without shimming. The casing would look off compared to each edge of the existing windows.

I am thinking of making 4 boxes that leave a 1/4 reveal of the existing plastic window box... I will need to take into account the depth of each (window to drywall) for the box. Then I suppose shimming the boxes in...

Is there any other way? I am disappointed that the framer didn’t take this into account but there is nothing I can do now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The doors aren’t trimmed out yet so I will be matching all the basement casing etc. My issue is getting the jams to line up with each window properly because the framing is out on all four windows.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How are the doors trimmed out down there?

Foam the gaps, seal everything up, rip down some wood extensions jambs, trim out the front with the same style door casing.
This is bang on to what I’m trying to say. The thing is that if I just rip jams and nail them to the framing exhale of the windows will look off due to the framing being so rough opening. I’m thinking I’ll need to shun jam boxes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.