DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

basement waterproofing question

10K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  pyper 
Alot of you guys have stated several times in the past about the proper way to attack a water issue is from the outside. I agree with you 100% BUT what happens when you are like me and have flat property and no damn city drain in the front road?? where does the water go?so if I dig 8 ft deep around the outside perimeter of the house and I need to have a drywell thats at least 9 ft deep so the water is gravity fed, but then the drywell well will probably be full of water by then due to the hgih ground water! :furious:
Drywells are useless in 99% of the situations they're placed in IMO. There's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I would rely on a drywell to manage draintile water, especially since the majority of that water is ground water, either natural or created by the huge hole in the dirt (the foundation).

The solution to this is extremely simple and proven: A complete draintile system, with interior & exterior draintile, stone and bleeders through the footings, all tied to an interior (or exterior depending on your locale) sump crock & pump. It's been done successfully in millions of homes for decades. As a matter of fact, our code in this state requires a sump crock (although the pump is discretionary) be installed in every new residence, even if you have a drain to daylight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.