DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently have moved into a place that has a reasonably sized basement, the problem is the house is at least 80-90 years old. The basement has a very thin concrete siding, (.1" - .2") and it is completely falling off. There are large areas / patches where you can see the Rock / Red dirt, and the problem is red dirt is falling on pretty much anything near it, and building up in piles on the side.

So, how would I go about fixing that? It was clearly not done well in the first place, and is very uneven overall. What would be the best way to get a smooth concrete layer on the side as it is now?

Thank you!

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
What you are calling siding, is called "parging". Post a picture of the wall. Is this a old farmhouse, from the sounds of it, sounds as if you have a Rubble foundation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you are calling siding, is called "parging". Post a picture of the wall. Is this a old farmhouse, from the sounds of it, sounds as if you have a Rubble foundation.
Hi there, thanks for the term, that is exactly what it is.

It's not an old farmhouse, it's a Philadelphia-area row house.

I should have attached a picture with the main post, however here it is.

So, how would I go about parging with all of the holes, dirt, rocks, and uneven surfaces?

In the picture you can see in the upper left is the "good area", that should be fairly easy to smooth over with a parge layer, however it is the other areas that concern me.

Thank you!

Image attached.

Attachments

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Too hard to tell from that extreme close up. Unless you are trying to hide something, need a wider angle shot showing more of the wall. That means from floor to ceiling, wall to wall if possible, so that myself and others can get a better idea of what you are seeing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Too hard to tell from that extreme close up. Unless you are trying to hide something, need a wider angle shot showing more of the wall. That means from floor to ceiling, wall to wall if possible, so that myself and others can get a better idea of what you are seeing.
Wasn't trying to hide anything, due to a low resolution camera, I wanted to get a closeup so you could see the extent of the degradation, I'll get a better picture up later today.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts