DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
wouldn't be standard here, if a header is not needed you don't install one.
Based on what I see without the drywall, it appears to me that the wall isn’t load bearing. No header over the door. The right end doesn’t look like it’s a support post either. The left end, the studs go all the way to the floor without a bottom plate. Does that mean this left end is a support for the beam above? Thoughts?

Wood Building Flooring House Floor

Brown Wood Floor Flooring Rectangle

Wood Road surface Floor Flooring Hardwood

·
retired framer
59,771 Posts
Based on what I see without the drywall, it appears to me that the wall isn’t load bearing. No header over the door. The right end doesn’t look like it’s a support post either. The left end, the studs go all the way to the floor without a bottom plate. Does that mean this left end is a support for the beam above? Thoughts?

View attachment 674468
I agree the main section is not load bearing but the side walls or one of them could be.
The stud going right to the floor is a hint to a bearing point or it could also mean there was a last minute change to make the non bearing wall longer.
We can't see the top of the wall so you also have a dropped ceiling.
Measure how much stud you have between the ceiling and top plate inside that wall.
You might have something like this picture and depending on how it is built and non bearing wall may be supporting the ceiling.
Property Building Wood Fixture Wood stain
Building Fixture Wood Building material Window

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
I agree the main section is not load bearing but the side walls or one of them could be.
The stud going right to the floor is a hint to a bearing point or it could also mean there was a last minute change to make the non bearing wall longer.
We can't see the top of the wall so you also have a dropped ceiling.
Measure how much stud you have between the ceiling and top plate inside that wall.
You might have something like this picture and depending on how it is built and non bearing wall may be supporting the ceiling.
View attachment 674475 View attachment 674476
That measure the is right at 3”. Top plate to the finished side of the ceiling.
Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain Hardwood

Wood Rectangle Composite material Beige Hardwood

·
retired framer
59,771 Posts
That measure the is right at 3”. Top plate to the finished side of the ceiling.
So there is a 2x4 on both sides for the ceiling.
Rectangle Parallel Font Wood

You might add some angled screws thru the top of the stud into the plate to insure a good attachment.
Rectangle Font Wood Parallel Illustration

Then you could cut the studs and trim the ceiling drywall back a bit for a patch
Rectangle Wood Art Font Symmetry

Or cut the studs lower and add a 2x4 and trim it like a small beam.
Rectangle House Parallel Font Logo

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So there is a 2x4 on both sides for the ceiling.
View attachment 674562
You might add some angled screws thru the top of the stud into the plate to insure a good attachment.
View attachment 674563
Then you could cut the studs and trim the ceiling drywall back a bit for a patch
View attachment 674564
Or cut the studs lower and add a 2x4 and trim it like a small beam.
View attachment 674565
Great info, thanks. Now I just need to figure out how to move the electrical. Lol

21 - 26 of 26 Posts