DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing my basement in a home I purchased this past September. The home is well built, basement showing no signs of moisture, no noticeable cracks in the block wall or slab. I put up foam board along he walls and began framing my walls in place. On one of the walls, the block wall isn't 100% straight vertically. I put my header in and dropped my plumb bob and saw it was out a little further than the width of the boards for my bottom plate. I checked the level on the wall and found the block isn't straight.
I assume, to keep my walls straight, just install my bottom plate plumb to the header. And, if I build my walls plumb, do I have to do anything to shim the space between the wall and the foam board on the block?

Thank you all in advance for any help and suggestions.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Is the top leaning in or out? Sounds like in?

Is the lean consistent along the length of the wall, or does the top bow in the middle of the wall?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Then the easy button is probably to shift your toe plate out some. Either that or taper all your studs.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. Give us a nearby big city so we will know your climate.
How thick is that rigid foam board?
If you make adjustments to make the wall look better resulting in a varied space between it and the foam board I see no problem.

Advice given above is good. Be sure you include fire blocking at the top.
Bud

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Paul and welcome to the forum. Give us a nearby big city so we will know your climate.
How thick is that rigid foam board?
If you make adjustments to make the wall look better resulting in a varied space between it and the foam board I see no problem.

Advice given above is good. Be sure you include fire blocking at the top.
Bud
Thanks Bud!

I live in Northeast Ohio. I put 1.5" foam board along the walls. Glad you mentioned fire blocking, hadn't even thought of that.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
Also air seal and insulate those joist cavities.

Enjoy
Bud

1 - 7 of 7 Posts