DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
11,730 Posts
I'm sure this must be very stressful.

1. Are you sure it's not the fireplace leaking, from the roof flashing failure?

2. Are you on clay just below the earth surface?

3. I would drain any standing water, period.

4. Did you tar the footing/ wall joint when it was exposed?

5. Did you place the new drain tile - holes down? Be safe, G

·
11,730 Posts
1. I thought the leak may be from the chimney case, if it had one. A leak could exit " (coming through crack in a fireplace in basement)"there. Just exploring the possibilities.

2. A clay stratus creates a waterproof mini-creek to lower areas. A french drain may or not work, depends on the soil, depth of water, pitch of drain, etc.

3. Is that the only section of drain clogged with roots? Did you run water from a hose in the old drain tile, while exposed, to see how fast it drained? Pitch, obstructions, effectiveness, etc. Run a plumbers snake through or a camera, checking for blockages, miss-alignment, etc. of the drain tiles?

4. The insulation is for water shedding and insulating.

5. The holes are supposed to be down on the lower half, on each side to let water in. Research the web, to verify me, and for documentation to have them replace it. Be safe, G

·
11,730 Posts
I asked about the holes because if they are on the upper 1/3, the water has to rise two more inches in the trench before it starts to drain. When it's done raining, the trench has 2" more water than needs to be there (than if the holes were in bottom 1/3). This water has to go somewhere without the help of the pipe because the holes are upper 1/3. In a 80' building, with a 24' wide trench bottom, with rock(1-1/2"), that extra 2" is about 67 gallons of water.

Here is some reading: http://www.easydigging.com/Drainage/pipe_tile.html

http://www.servicemagic.com/article.show.Foundation-Drainage.13702.html Holes down in that one. Be safe, G

1 - 3 of 3 Posts