DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. We are refinishing our basement, and the last part, which we can't figure out how to handle, are the 60-year-old stairs. These have very-aged sheet linoleum on them with metal nosing. They definitely are old and dingy, and since the basement holds our guest room, and this would be the first thing the guest sees, I want something more inviting.

However, I'm a little squeamish about unleashing the nastiness of pulling up the linoleum and sanding off the glue (which is now black and nasty). Are there other options? I don't really want to do more peel and stick on top of it. Can I nail into it? I had thought of doing stained wood treads, and painting the linoleum risers (which are in much better shape), or recovering the whole thing in wood and just leaving the linoleum in place. We have a router and other tools to custom-make parts, so that isn't a problem.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
37,178 Posts
Post a picture of what you have.
If the runs and risers are to code then the best look would be to remove all of what's there and use painted risers and new wooden treads.
Do not try and paint the linolium.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts