DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basement is roughed in for shower. Hole is approx 2 feet by 2 feet. Pipe is ready for shower drain. My question is do I have to concrete over the hole and leave the pipe standing(like the concrete is poured around the toiler drain) or can I just fill the hole with stone, and frame the subfloor panels over it?

·
Registered
183 Posts
I suggest that you repair the concrete slab (put plastic down before you pour the concrete. It will assist in keeping down dampness (if that is a problem) and support the shower base or subfloor and shower base. Test the waste line first.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
What kind of pan are you installing? Is the drain pipe 2"----A large opening is often left for a tub---but seldom for a shower---

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Fill with gravel----then,as you are installing, top the hole with some masons mortar----

You will want to put some mortar under the pan to properly support it---there is an advantage to having a bit of wiggle to the pipe===it's much easier to set the drain if the pipe can be moved a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.