DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I contacted my local inspector about what to do with the main panel and this is what I got "All outlet boxes shall have joints made up , with a minimum of 6 inch pig-tails. No devices to be installed."

In the rough-in for the panel what is usually required? Do I connect the grounds and neutrals inside the panel with no circuit breaker and if so what happens to the hot wire? Where should I put it in the panel so it does not interfere with all the live wires?

·
Super Moderator
8,866 Posts
When using an exsisting panel, I instll the grouonds and the neutrals.
Install the breakers, and put wire nuts on the hots until I finish.

·
Lic Electrical Inspector
1,843 Posts
I contacted my local inspector about what to do with the main panel and this is what I got "All outlet boxes shall have joints made up , with a minimum of 6 inch pig-tails. No devices to be installed."

In the rough-in for the panel what is usually required? Do I connect the grounds and neutrals inside the panel with no circuit breaker and if so what happens to the hot wire? Where should I put it in the panel so it does not interfere with all the live wires?
Please refer to post #13 in this thread.

DIY Electrical work in New Jersey

Even though I started the thread aimed at New Jersey, a lot of it applies everywhere.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts