DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three pull chain light sockets (the ones that include an outlet) in my basement that seem to need constant replacing due to the switch failing (usually jams). I've purchased various brands such as Cooper or Leviton, in both plastic and porcelain.

Has anyone had any luck with durability with these types of fixtures? If so, what brand do you recommend? If switch failure is an inherent problem with these types of fixtures, is there another option that you could suggest?

Thanks in advance for any ideas on this.

·
Super Moderator
16,910 Posts
Add a simple toggle switch to the wall instead of the pull chains. Some rewiring would be needed, but it is relatively simple.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. It sounds like there is no such thing as a durable pull chain switch. I'll have to look into the toggle switch option.

I do make use of fluorescent bulbs elsewhere in the house, but for this portion of the basement, I burn 200 watt clear incandescent bulbs for maximum light output. I had looked into the fluorescent equivalent of a 200 watt incandescent bulb, but those bulbs are at least 3 times as long as the 200 watt incandescent bulb. They would hang down too low, putting them in head striking range.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wiring in a wall switch is probably going to be the best way for me to go. I am replacing one or more of these fixtures every 18 months, and it doesn't look like there are more durable options for this type of fixture.. The 200 watt bulbs sometimes get left on, so a wall switch with a motion sensor auto off and on would probably be the best solution for me. Thanks everyone for the ideas and advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.