DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finishing the basement and looking to add a 2 zone mini split.

Had 2 local reputable contractors out.

First guy said a 4 ton with dual 2 ton heads
Second said 2 ton with dual 1 ton heads.

Tried using several online calculators and get varying responses......

1 room will be 25x13x8

Rest of the basement will be open....about 1000 sf or so. Walkout so lots of windows and doorwall. Ceiling in part of the walkout area is 13' tall.

I know this info doesn't mean much but looking for ideas.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
So your conditioning a 25X13X8 room and a 1000 square foot remaining basement area?
I’d doubt very much you need 4 tons to do this. Basements on average have low loads, even walkout style basements. Separate dehumidification is usually needed.
What calculators have you used?
Equipment isn’t sized via square footage alone.
Try here-

www.loadcalc.net

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried that but it's for the whole house. Already have the furnace for the rest of the place. Just trying to heat the basement

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do I go about that? Have had several HVAC guys out and they just throw out opinions based on experience. No calcs done that I know of

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Demand a manual J.
Nothing else will suffice as far as sizing.
A lot of guys will tell you that “they’ve been doing this for xx years and I know what you need”. Still just a guess.
Heat load is sized via manual J.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Where are you in the country ? What is the average temp in the basement now during the winter ? And how much warmer do you want it to be ? And are you going to heat the space 24/7 or just turn it on when someone is down there ?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Another thought has anyone done a load calculation on the existing furnace/duct work to see if 2-3 additional ducts could be run for the basement ? Maybe one duct in the " room " and two ducts in the balance of the basement .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where are you in the country ? What is the average temp in the basement now during the winter ? And how much warmer do you want it to be ? And are you going to heat the space 24/7 or just turn it on when someone is down there ?
Detroit area
basement isnt framed and insulated yet so thats hard to say. by the walkout doors/windows through the winter it was like 54 degrees but away from that area it was about 64.

thinking once its framed and insulated it will bring it up a bit even by the windows, but not up to 64. And would like it to be like 68-70 there in the dead of winter.

prob wont heat it 24/7 but not sure

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another thought has anyone done a load calculation on the existing furnace/duct work to see if 2-3 additional ducts could be run for the basement ? Maybe one duct in the " room " and two ducts in the balance of the basement .
well dont want ducts in the room, its going to be a soundproofed theater, so cutting holes for ducts would ruin that effort.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
A closed soundproof theatre?
What will be done to heat and cook the room? Occupants, lights and electronics all generate heat. Seal it in a closed box and the room will likely be highly uncomfortable by the end of a film.
Ducts could be done without adding noise to the room.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A closed soundproof theatre?
What will be done to heat and cook the room? Occupants, lights and electronics all generate heat. Seal it in a closed box and the room will likely be highly uncomfortable by the end of a film.
Ducts could be done without adding noise to the room.
Ductless mini split

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
A ductless mini would have very small amounts of noise.
A ducted mini could have next to no noise in the space.
But IMO you’ll regret not having any conditioning whatsoever in that space.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A ductless mini would have very small amounts of noise.
A ducted mini could have next to no noise in the space.
But IMO you’ll regret not having any conditioning whatsoever in that space.
The ductless mini is the conditioning. Heat and cool

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
So you plan on having a wall mount head in the room?
The way I read it you sounds like the room would have no conditioning at all.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts