DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out how to layout my basement lighting. Current plan is to use 6" thin wafer led lights. I'm not sure the best approach, since I have a large 6 ft soffit across the whole length of the main room. the main room overall is 38' x 16'. I was thinking 3 rows of 7-8 lights, one row down the middle of the soffit and 2 rows down the rest of the basement.
Anyone with more experience have any input and also spacing? Heres picture of the area. The orange line is the soffit and the yellow dot is only current light thats staying.
Font Rectangle Parallel Plan Schematic

· Registered
1,971 Posts
My lighting design preference is more about lighting specific functional areas, not general even lighting. I would use multiple switched zones such as the TV/conversation area, card table area, and kids play area/pool table. 21- 24 lights in the big room only is way overkill. Maybe you meant total for all rooms.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I was referring to the main room was just going by what I have seen in other photos, seems lights where spaced 5-6 ft apart.
I’ll work up another picture of what I was kinda thinking and post it. Here is a photo of the space for now to give you an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My lighting design preference is more about lighting specific functional areas, not general even lighting. I would use multiple switched zones such as the TV/conversation area, card table area, and kids play area/pool table. 21- 24 lights in the big room only is way overkill. Maybe you meant total for all rooms.
Here is what I was thinking. Please let me know what you think. different colors would be on different switches in the main area. The spacing may be off but that is what I am looking to nail down.
Is it overkill? There is 10 ft between the soffit and the top tv wall, and that wall is about 18'9" from the corner to 45 wall. The ceiling is just under 9 ft and just under 8 ft at the soffit.
Thanks in advance.
Rectangle Font Parallel Floor plan Schematic

· Registered
Building my last home
5,388 Posts
Most light fixtures have available a photo-metric chart.

Get it pay attention to the height and the power of the lamp. After that is is pretty easy.

If you want general lighting at 3' above the floor that is one thing, If you want working lighting that is something else entirely.

Your lay out looks like it could provide enough light for watch repair.

Attachments

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will have to look for the light chart. Although I don’t recall seeing one for any of the slim can less led lights.
The ones I was looking at are 13 watt/ 1050 lumens 5 cct.
Are lights under the soffit really necessary or should I maybe do 4 inch ones under it and 6 everywhere else? I worry that the width of it will cause dark spots and shadows.
Overall I’m just looking for overall general lighting. Under the blue dots will be a foosball table and dart board.
I also do plan on having them all on dimmers.
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
5,357 Posts
Maybe 2 lights/bulbs above the stairs in case one dies when using the stairs?

Maybe some under-bar lighting/rope light?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most light fixtures have available a photo-metric chart.

Get it pay attention to the height and the power of the lamp. After that is is pretty easy.

If you want general lighting at 3' above the floor that is one thing, If you want working lighting that is something else entirely.

Your lay out looks like it could provide enough light for watch repair.
Here is some info I found on the lights. Can you help me understand how to determine spacing based on this and what the room is giving me?

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts