DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done lots of tiling on good sub-flooring, but for my next home project I am tiling over a concrete floor in my basement that abuts a stone foundation. The problem is there used to be walls with studs and lathing that we have removed and now have about a 4" gap between the concrete and the stone foundation. My gut is telling me not to tile over the empty space but how do I fill it? There is a 4" trench at the edge of an entire room... all 4 sides. Should I fill the trench with concrete or tile over this space with the idea that no one will ever walk along the wall?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has always been dry. It's where the old plate was and someone did a concrete floor later that aborted the wall (lathed wall) that is now gone. Question is, how do I fill that in (if at all) before tiling the floor?

·
retired framer
59,611 Posts

·
retired framer
59,611 Posts
Neal, thank you for a solution. When you brought up a vapor barrier are you saying I should put something like a tyvek in the trench?

Huesmann, voice to text is great. Lol

It is common to put sheet poly under the slab but if you don't have under the rest of the floor it would be pointless for this strip .
If you had a water problem with the wall you would drape the wall with poly down under the floor but that doesn't seem to be needed.

·
retired framer
59,611 Posts
That wood is the only stud left from the old wall that have the lathing, but it is attached to some stairs so I might change it out with a decorative stud. After planing these old pieces they are old growth spruce and look really good.
So the wall was holding up the landing?

can you take a picture of the framing under there? Looking up?

·
retired framer
59,611 Posts
So when I foam and fill this trench, how should the tile (a ceramic fake slate pattern) address the stone wall? Or obscure that edge with baseboard? Ideas?
I think i would just leave it until after you have done the floor.

maybe just tile up close and fill to the stone with mortar or grout or draw a straight line and finish the edge with some small tile or stone.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.