DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just removed about 800 sq. ft of old VAT tiles from my basement floor. I was just going to go over them, but they popped off so easily in whole pieces I decided that removing them was the best course of action.

After removing the tiles I now have a musty mildew type smell. What do I do to get rid of this? This musty smell was never present before removing the tiles.

Do i just clean the floor with a bleach/water mix?

After cleaning I plan to install this Vinyl Plank flooring from Lowes. It is a full plank self adhesive vinyl product that from what I can see has gotten good reviews. I chose to go this route for cost and the fact that the HD allure product has gotten horrible reviews.

Do I need to then prime the floor or seal it with something before installing my planks?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After more reading i feel like I just made a huge mistake taking these tiles up. The floor itself was decent enough I should have just sealed them in and went over top. I figured since they just popped so easily that any floor going over wouldn't be stuck good enough either and I would just be wasting money.

Whats done is done. I wore a mask and gloves, hopefully since there wasn't too much breakage its not that bad. Ugh I am so upset right now. I should have done more research.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.