DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is the right place to post this.

My basement had water in it this morning when I woke up. I think the sump pump failed, because when I unplugged it and plugged it back in again it started up.

I am currently shopvaccing up water and pulling up carpets to take to the dump.

My question is: Does anyone have any tips? Things learned from this type of experience that I might not think of.

·
Too Short? Cut it Again!
9,634 Posts
Faster you can get the water up and the water logged carpet out of the space the better of course. I would get some dehumidifiers cranked on ASAP too along with some ventilation through the space. Obviously you need to source and remedy the sump pump failure and resolve that. So sorry to hear of your misfortune.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've found a fan to be way better than a dehumidifier, provided you have some external opening to exhaust the damp air out of. Big thing is keep the humidity in the air down - otherwise no more water can evaporate and everything will stay wet and start to mold / smell.

·
Registered
301 Posts
yeah, rent 3 or 4 blowers and place them all around the room...those work very fast...the dehumidifiers are very good at getting water out of the structural wood though, so dont discount them either. The blowers are just much quicker for surface water and air circulation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips people. I'll be working on this for a while, I think.

New sump pump ordered today.

·
Willing to listen
221 Posts
A battery back-up pump is not a bad investment if you can make it fit your existing pit, etc. I did mine for about $450 several years ago. Then you are protected from both primary pump failure and power outage. Just don't but the smallest/cheapest out there, make sure it has decent capacity (lift/gpm) and runtimes.

I also keep all of my stuff in the unfinished side of the basement up on old pallets....just in case.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the tips. I was thinking about some kind of backup. Both ideas are worth considering.

I think I might have dodged a bullet with this one. We got it early, vacced up all the water, lifted any carpet and underlay that was affected and hauled it off to the dump. I have had a couple of fans and a dehumidifier working for a few days and it looks like it's all dry.

All in all, I didn't have to throw away too much stuff. Not too much of value anyway.

Thanks again to all who replied.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts