DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am about to start finishing my basement and am looking to see if I am correct in my research. There is so much information and I am just looking to see if what I came up with seems correct.

• Wisconsin
  • Home is 12 years old
  • 2x6 studs on exterior walls (r-19 insulation)
  • 2x4 studs on interior walls (r-13 insulation)
  • 16" OC spacing on all walls
  • Pressure treated lumber on bottom
  • 3 1/4" Galvanized nails through pressure treated lumber. Can I use them throughout the whole project?
  • Not planning on any additional waterproofing on concrete walls or floors. Should I? I did test for moisture and did not have any concerns.

I appreciate any support you can give. I am excited to get started and am hoping this community can help me along the way.

Thanks!

·
retired framer
44,586 Posts
Better might be foam board against the concrete and 2x4 walls.
Don't usually insulate interior walls, but no harm if you want to.

Yes you can use the same HDG nails, more money but convenient.

Do you understand fire stopping required where you are?

Treated bottom plate is code in many places, I would still use sill gasket.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Better might be foam board against the concrete and 2x4 walls.
Don't usually insulate interior walls, but no harm if you want to.

Yes you can use the same HDG nails, more money but convenient.

Do you understand fire stopping required where you are?

Treated bottom plate is code in many places, I would still use sill gasket.
  • Advised that I do not need foam board is the basement has something around the exterior
  • Looking into fire stopping now. Thanks for the addition on this.
  • Sill gaskets in my area must be optional, or not popular, as my local stores do not stock it. I will continue to look into though.
  • I was thinking about the interior walls more for soundproofing but yes that is something I probably do not need to do.

Thanks!

·
retired framer
44,586 Posts
  • Advised that I do not need foam board is the basement has something around the exterior
  • Looking into fire stopping now. Thanks for the addition on this.
  • Sill gaskets in my area must be optional, or not popular, as my local stores do not stock it. I will continue to look into though.
  • I was thinking about the interior walls more for soundproofing but yes that is something I probably do not need to do.

Thanks!
It is important to stop air from sneaking around your wall and coming into contact with a cooler surface. So a tight fit to the floor is a plus. We never let wood touch concrete directly. Different code.

What have you on the outside.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is important to stop air from sneaking around your wall and coming into contact with a cooler surface. So a tight fit to the floor is a plus. We never let wood touch concrete directly. Different code.

What have you on the outside.
Thanks for the video. I will watch it in a bit. As for the outside, it is a pink foam board.

·
retired framer
44,586 Posts
Our fire stopping can be 1/2" plywood like a top plate that reaches the sill plate above the concrete wall.
If you figure where the outside of the top plate will be and install all the fire stop first you can just plumb down to the floor at all the corners, and that helps you find square.
At least it will be just as square as the upstairs.

Attachments

·
retired framer
44,586 Posts
Thanks for the video. I will watch it in a bit. As for the outside, it is a pink foam board.
I think that is the best and you will find the video interesting. He talks about the outside insulation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts