DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
My ceilings are at 7'4" and the soffits are around 6'10". The projector is at 6'3" and about 14'5" back from the wall. I havn't had any problems with the picture. There are so many adjustments on the projector and the mount that you can turn twist it anyway you want.

I have it mounted to the side of the soffit in a stud.

Attachments

·
Registered
244 Posts
My ceilings are at 7'4" and the soffits are around 6'10". The projector is at 6'3" ....
Thanks.
So math says the mounting post is a little over a foot long ?
Is that adjustable, the height of the mounting post ?

Just thinking down the road for myself... might be able to box out a joist bay and stuff the projector in the bay and rig it off the subfloor planking or something. House has 2x6 floor joist, finding (or making) an adjustable mounting post would be nice to keep the porjector as high as possible for good picture throw and head clearance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thanks mrsub. The project took about 3 months doing it during weekends and nights. I only had help on hanging the drywall as it is a pain to hold the sheet and screw it in.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
imisspell the mounting post was around 1 foot. It is made by Vantage Point. It is completely adjustable. It was the nicest one I found out there.

Yeah you could box it out. I was even thinking about installing the projector mount to the ceiling beams and then cutting a hole in the drop ceiling for the projector mount to go through to save on the headroom.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Looks very nice. Maybe this will get me motivated to get going on mine.

Question: I'll be doing soffits as well, what's the best way to frame them up. All on the ground or piece by piece ?

thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
raam it's well worth the money and time. I'm playing halo right now on a ten foot screen.

I did the soffits in 8 foot sections only because I didn't have anyone helping me. I framed them on the ground and then lifted them into place and nailed and screwed them into place. I was worried they would fall. LOL.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Gotcha. I'll be doing mine alone as well. Actually already have begun but stopped awhile back. Got as far as framing some walls and hung drywall in the gym area. I have lots of soffits too !

Thanks for the reply.

·
New House Newbie
153 Posts
Looks Great!

What made you choose a painted wall instead of a projector screen (either mounted on the wall or a pull down)? Also, is the wall textured where the image is projected?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Cj,

I choose to do the painted wall instead of the screen because I didn't want to be "locked" into a screen size due to the screen. With the the hd65 projector you can turn on superwide mode and didn't want any restrictions on size.

The projector wall is not textured. It is a flat enamel paint. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
SnowUtopia,

Can you tell me what your room dimensions are? How far back from the screen wall did you put your couch?

When you enclosed the furnace and water heater what kind of clearances did you allow for and how is combustion air getting into that room?

I'm at the very beginning of my attempt to do this and struggling to figure out how I'm going to lay everything out. I didn't catch the plumbers putting my water line 2' 3" into the room I wanted to use for this until the floor was poured. (It comes out of the floor)

I have my basic dimensions here... if anyone is getting started floorplanner.com is a really neat (free) system for doing 2d/3d layout.

http://www.floorplanner.com/projects/18251114

I'm trying to build an office and media room on the right third of the basement, and some kind of play room in the middle for my toddler. Your dimensions would be helpful.

Anything you wish you did differently today?

Thanks!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.