DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing my basement. I saw something about rigid foam and furring strips for the walls against foundation instead of 2x4 walls. Is this a good idea? My final wall will be shiplap pine over that. Any wall not against foundation will be built 2x4. Please anyone that has done this or seen it done help. Also what about my electric running through those walls? How will I do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would recommend building the wall, it's going to be a lot easier/stronger/better than using XPS foam and furring strips. Plus you can run electrical in it no problem.

·
Registered
10,927 Posts
I don't see your location so don't know what insulation value is required, but a stud wall allows for less foam and some batt insulation to meet those codes. There are ratios for rigid foam to batt insulation, but 1" rigid and 3.5" of batts usually works. And you solve the electrical wiring issue.

Bud

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't see your location so don't know what insulation value is required, but a stud wall allows for less foam and some batt insulation to meet those codes. There are ratios for rigid foam to batt insulation, but 1" rigid and 3.5" of batts usually works. And you solve the electrical wiring issue.

Bud

Should have said location. I'm in Ohio. Not real concerned about about codes I'll meet those just trying to decide what would be easier, most cost effective, and which would work better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
You are better to go with 2x4 walls. Easier to insulate, wire, and more support. You can use furring strips and shallow boxes but will use more wire due to going from ceiling to receptacle then back up to ceiling for each one. You will have less insulation r value and have to nail to attach to block I assume, which puts holes in your watertight basement. Furring strips also give you less to nail to. I have done both ways just prefer 2x4 walls.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Rigid foam against the wall creates a vapor retarder and thermal break to prevent condensation, if the layer is sealed well and thick enough. Then a 2x4 wall against that gives you the chance to finish insulating and have ample room for electrical.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts