DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help on a system for opening a basement door that is apart of my floor in one of the rooms. It opens up with a tug on a handle but was wondering about some sort of strut or actuator system that can be operated from inside the basement and outside the basement as well (Tornado's prevalent in my area and need to take cover). Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Gas struts would reduce the effective weight of the door, making it easier to open. They are usually sized for the weight they will support and the travel length.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Is there any sort of automated system that would work as well or that could pop the door open so the gas strut could take over? Thanks again.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
You want an "automated" system so that when a tornado does strike and the power goes off, the door won't open???:no:

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Great point!!!
That's why I get paid the big bucks.:)

Little old lady calls the fire department to tell them her cat is stuck in a tree and asks if they will come and get her cat out of the tree.

The fireman on the other end of the phone says: "We sure will ma-am, How do we get there?"

Little old lady says: "Don't you guys have that big red truck anymore?"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not necessarily like that, I figured if the power went out then a simple push on the door would open it (if the gas strut were installed). But for more everyday ease of use I was wondering of an automated system. Basically I was just looking to see what other people have done and what was out there already. Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts