DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Lots of time and patience. Start with a long straight edge mark low spots with X and high spots with O. Go back with floor leveler and fill all low spots then recheck high spots and make sure they're within maximums allowed on the instructions that come with your Laminate. If not, grind them down. I prefer carpet in basements. LVP is ok is the floor is close to flat but I'd never recommend laminate. The tabs are flimsy mdf and will break if the floor is not almost perfect.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't mind carpet, but I have children at home and basement is for them so they have more place to play. Carpet and kids would probably end in disaster, can imagine all the stains from juices, fruits, etc :)

·
Registered
10,879 Posts
Remember you are installing an expensive floor in the bottom of a swimming pool and praying it doesn't rain. Let me see, there was the shower drain that got covered with a towel and flooded that area plus much of the basement. Then a washing machine pump cracked followed a few years later by a hose bursting. And I never knew that copper pipes wore out from the inside, two pinhole leaks that we fortunately caught quickly. Over the years my foundation has developed a few hairline cracks that don't leak a lot, but if behind a finished wall (or floor) could have become a mold farm. If you haven't guessed my basement is and will always remain just a basement. The kids enjoyed it as they could do little harm.

I like Big J's thoughts about a carpet, worth considering as easily removed and replaced. Between the dricore, the laminate, and the labor you could buy and replace the carpet a couple of times. I've read on forums that insurance companies frown on expensive basements that they become responsible for.

As for leveling, Big covered it. I use a long piece of aluminum angle as my straight reference and a diamond cup for grinding.

Bud

1 - 4 of 4 Posts