DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to span 17' with a large concrete beam. I plan to insert a heavy duty rebar cone, arch the ends and connect it to two large piers formed with sonotubes resting on wide and thick footers. Everything tied in with #6 rebar. I want the beam to be exposed and am going to use terra cotta concrete to match the walls.
I am a concrete man, but not a structural engineer.
I need to know:

1. What should the dimentions be on the pier and beam
2. What size rebar should be used
3. What size sonotude should be used

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
To get any technical suggestions you need to include the load the beam will support.

Is the beam holding up a house----roadway----foot bridge?

Add some details,please.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I'd be surprised if you got all that info here...that's how some people make their living. Comparative analysis is one thing, but outright design is another. Please call a structural engineer...

·
Concrete & Masonry
3,890 Posts
I was hell-bent to form and pour a concrete lintel/beam for 2 - 18' OH door openings on my shop years ago. After paying an architect for the drawings, along with an SE to stamp the beams, I ended off opting for steel I beams with bearing plates welded to the bottom, and "soaps" (narrow block) laid on the plate. The concrete beam was WAY bigger than I expected, and actually more expensive than the steel........

1 - 5 of 5 Posts