DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im adding abathroom in basement and need some suggestions on how to tie into the old cast iron. There is a 4" cast iron cleanout in the slab. I have broke out the concrete and dug down around it, only to find right under the y there is 2 45's which head directly outunder the foundation. Im hopin to be able to tie into the cast under slab level as i do not want to put tub and toilet on platform. is there any way to tie into the cast when its all fittings? possible brake it in middle of 45 and use 4 1/2" - 4" fernco coupling?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Post a picture,please. There is a way to do just about anything----but a tricky job like that needs a picture.

Reactions: hethrm

·
Premium Member
11,961 Posts
Yea, your kinda in a bad way.Removing a fitting like you want to do is very difficult. Another possibility is to install a pump for the new fixtures. Plumbing off a clean out is not recommended (violates UPC in my area).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm trying to upload pictures but computer is being stuborn. I do not want to put a pump in if i can help it and i need to put new drain lines under the slab ( at least partially) so i dont have to build platforms as i wont have enough head room to meet code then. I had planned on only puttin in a half bath with a wall mount toilet and pedistal sink so i would be able to break cast iron above grade, but I have friend movin in who would reaally like a tub down there (plus tub and reg. toilet were free and new- thats another problem with putting them on platforms< not sure the tub surround will fit then). I was hopin the cast did not go directly out ar that there would be room between fittings. I guess i have three chances to remove the fittings and if i dont suceed i could dig from the outside and tie in there. (I'm also installin egress window so i could borrow a trac-hoe if i have to do plumbin to. could i use a 4 1/2 to 4 inch coupling if i break it in the middle of 45?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
There must be more iron in the floor than the 45s what are they coming from?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is just the cleanout with a street 45 connected to it and another 45 connect to that and by then it is already under the foundation the pipe is only 4-6 inches from the exterior concrete wall. i took pictures but cant figure out how to get them on this site?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts