DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know nothing about proper plumbing so excuse my ignorance but I am wanting to know if its possible to install a sink that drains into the a/c condensation drainage in the basement floor? I am wanting to add a sink to my bar area and the a/c drain is located about 2 feet behind the bar.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I wouldn't know. Is it a floor drain that your condensate is going to? Pictures a worth a thousand words. I have seen condensate run to footer drains. That is not a sanitary drain. A drain that is attached to your septic or sewer is considered sanitary drain. The waste water is treated. Your question was if you could run a bar sink to a condensate drain. Not sure what your calling a condensate drain.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
If you are talking about a typical air conditioner condensate drain, it is most likely too small to qualify as a sink drain no matter where it drains to. I've never seen one larger than maybe 1 inch.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Are you in town or in the country?

Provided that floor drain is tied into the rest of your plumbing, you're looking at doing what an earlier poster said about breaking up the concrete and cutting the floor drain's horizontal pipe in order to insert a wye.

There are other, far less finished solutions possible, but all of them would be ugly. Also remember that the drain will need to be vented, or it won't drain properly. Sort of like when you try to pour soda out of a brand new bottle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is the pipe your toilet flushes into above your head? Does that pipe go out the wall to the septic or into the floor then out to the septic.

There are 2 bathrooms above and have 3 drains(not sure if toilet or sink/shower) feeding directly into a large diameter PVC that goes into the floor. This drain into the floor is about 2-3 feet from the a/c condensation floor drain.

Live in the city.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
If that 3 inch stack by your bar location it would be easier to cut in a tee and run it to your bar through the walls then add an AAV under the bar sink. By the way it seems to be missing its clean out at the base.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts