DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is two pictures, old unit and new unit. And the wiring, that I can not figure out.

Old unit used 4 wires + a ground, new unit is only two wires. I am guessing this is super simple. I spent awhile searching and youtubing but still came up empty. I did find that a 4 wire can go to a 2 but not 2 to 4.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,012 Posts
What is the voltage and current rating for the new thermostat?

For the old thermostat you attached both wires in the hot feed to the switch and also attached both wires in the cable continuing to the heater to the switch.

For the 2 wire thermostat you connect one wire of the feed cable directly to one wire of the cable continuing to the heater. Connect the other wire of each cable to the thermostat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the voltage and current rating for the new thermostat?

For the old thermostat you attached both wires in the hot feed to the switch and also attached both wires in the cable continuing to the heater to the switch.

For the 2 wire thermostat you connect one wire of the feed cable directly to one wire of the cable continuing to the heater. Connect the other wire of each cable to the thermostat.
old one is A MEARS THERMOSTAT. MODEL # M402 DOUPLE POLE. 22A-120/240V

new one http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...oice-_-QA_PSVP-_-100566648-_-x#specifications

not sure but will this work?

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
It looks like a line voltage thermostat, so it should work. You will have to connect the other line together bypassing the thermostat. That will leave 2 leads for the new `stat.

·
Registered
218 Posts
New one is rated for less current and is only single pole. I wouldn't recommend using that thermostat.

What wattage is the baseboard, Or current for that matter? 120 or 240V? Should be 240V based on the wires. Hard to recommend what t-stat you need based on no information.

Edit: Kbsparky - The way you recommend is less safe than replacing with 4-pole. It leaves the baseboard electrically hot at all times. If there were any issues it could be dangerous.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here is my situation. current electricity provider gives me free electricity from 7 pm to 11 pm. All i'm trying to do is switch my heat on at 7 and off at 11pm. Im a singe guy so i'm not home much and saving money my house is usually cold. when i am home its usually during those times.

what should i look for exactly or can you post me a link to a thermostat that should work?

thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.