DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace a 50 year old electric baseboard unit. The total portion to be replaced is 8' long. It is made up of two 4' sections that were bolted/screwed together. The power enters the two sections right where they join ... so right in the middle of the 8' length.

I'd like to use a single new 8' baseboard heater (link below). If/when I place it in the same location as the existing baseboard, the wiring would be in the middle of the span, which is a problem since new units want the wiring to enter at one end or the other.

The existing supply wire for the baseboard comes up through the sole plate of the wall, not from a run from either direction through the wall studs. So, I can't pull the wire back toward one end for the new unit.

The new baseboard heater needs to go in the same location as the old because there are doorways not far from either end of the existing 8'.

I'd propose to place the existing wiring in a box behind the baseboard and run a 12/2 wire from the new box to the end of the new unit.

The possible problem is that you're not supposed to hide junction boxes, but I'm not sure if this is considered a problem in this case since the new box would still be accessible by removing the new baseboard if you needed to get to it. It wouldn't be sealed in a sheetrocked wall.

Snaking a new wire to the new unit would be a real problem since there are many finished walls, ceilings, etc. between the breaker panel and the location of the new baseboard.

Any thoughts on the placement of a box behind the electric baseboard unit? If it's a problem, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cadet-9...c-Baseboard-Heater-in-White-8F2025W/202502551

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Consider two 48" units. Actually $2 cheaper! They feed either end you need.

And no, you must not hide the box behind the heater... not code compliant and just not a good idea anyway. You never want to leave a secret like that behind.

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
I agree. 8 foot heaters existed 50 years ago. The last guy used two 4’ heaters for a reason.

You need to either move the junction box properly in a Code compliant way... and that includes wall-busting, rerouting, and never “burying a box” in a place it won’t easily be found without tools.

Or just go for the 4’ heaters as the last guy did. If having 2 thermostats bothers you, get one with a ‘stat and one without; there’ll be no trouble wiring both heaters off one ‘stat. And Cadet uses the same ‘stat in all their heaters, so it’s sized for 2500W of heater.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.