DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a Utica Boiler with three zones, one for upstairs, one for downstairs, one for the hot water tank. The house and system are 12 years old, serviced yearly. The system began to have air in the system so I replaced Watts automatic air valve. Though the "stream-running" and "water-hammer" sounds are gone, now the zone-two (upstairs) echo-bangs at shutoff (closure of valve) when zone-one (downstairs) is running and remains open and therefore circular is still running. Zone-two does not bang at shut-down if it was the only zone running. I replaced the Erie actuator head on zone-two yet the problem persists. Could it be the valve-body itself needs replacing? I'd love to see a drawing or photo of what the valve body looks like inside.
Thanks!

·
Administrator
41,640 Posts
Its just a hard rubber ball inside. The springs in the actuator are what close it, and hold it closed. So it should not be able to open when another zone runs. The ball may have thinned, and be allowing water to bypass it. This can cause banging.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.

Thank you, I assumed it was a ball but appreciate the confirmation. Seems this sort of repair will require a plumber then.
Thanks for sharing your expertise.

·
Banned
14,506 Posts
Either you're getting a reverse flow on the problem zone valve, or the zone valve was installed in reverse. An "echo-bang" or a short machine gun kind of banging is a classic sign of reverse flow through these valves.

These valves are directional and have arrows on the side of them and must be installed in the right direction so that the ball closes against the flow. If the ball is closing for what ever reason WITH the flow then the flow grabs it and slams it closed. The abrupt cut in flow bounces the water a bit (and therefore the ball too) and you get an echo-banging.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts