DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really seeking help, but I just want to get some opinions.

Is there any specific reason door stops are placed in the baseboard close to the floor? I have a rental property, the tenants just moved out, and some of the door stops were damaged, presumably by their young son. I started putting those on the upper corner of the door.

I just wanted to make sure there isn't some purpose to putting it down by the floor that I'm not aware of. Like, some construction issue that requires it to be there.

·
retired framer
63,464 Posts
Not really seeking help, but I just want to get some opinions.

Is there any specific reason door stops are placed in the baseboard close to the floor? I have a rental property, the tenants just moved out, and some of the door stops were damaged, presumably by their young son. I started putting those on the upper corner of the door.

I just wanted to make sure there isn't some purpose to putting it down by the floor that I'm not aware of. Like, some construction issue that requires it to be there.
Will they push thru the drywall?

·
retired painter
13,652 Posts
Mounted to the base is usually best as wood is stronger than drywall. There are also ones that the hinge pin slips thru. While they don't touch the drywall, they can damage hollow core doors.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
As Neal and Mark mentioned, it's primarily because mounting a doorstop to drywall is a sure-fire way to end up with a hole in the drywall and the doorstop down inside the wall, unless there just happens to be a stud where the doorstop needs to be. At the bottom, there's not only the baseboard, but usually you can mount it low enough that the bottom plate is behind it, as well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Strangely, it never occurred to me that the door stop would punch through the dry wall. I screwed it into the upper corner of the door furthest from the hinges, so unless someone is looking up, they wouldn't notice it. My original thought putting it there was so that it wouldn't be kicked or stepped on or knocked around by a vacuum.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.