DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always enjoyed watching Home Improvement television shows. I began watching This Old House in 1979 when it first aired and have never missed a single episode.
HGTV came along and has added more ways to see what is done.

I am very surprised by the widespread acceptance of Barn Doors in remodeling or new construction. They offer little privacy for a bathroom and are kind of awkward to slide left or right to open. Yes, they do eliminate some space problems create by hinged swinging doors, but there cannot be electrical outlets on the side of a doorway where they travel when opened. A pocket door seems more functional to me.

Shiplap walls and pallet walls are another trend I do not understand. I like wood, but more in the way of flooring or fine cabinetry, opposed to seeing it used as a wall covering.

Are these just current trends and will soon become a passing fad?

·
Naildriver
12,789 Posts
Barn doors and shiplap walls are probably here for the long run. Many tastes to run an ice cream shop. We install T&G planks and nickel gap siding on interior walls all the time. We even have installed corrugated galvanized steel panels as a ceiling. As you say, however, privacy is a drawback, as well as locking the panel in place unless you go to Tractor Supply and get regular sliding door locks.

·
Naildriver
12,789 Posts
Did you age the tin panels or leave them shiny?
Owner wanted to leave the galvanization showing without any lacquer or other coating. Heck, aged panels from an old barn cost more than new ones :eek:

·
JUSTA MEMBER
16,979 Posts
I have one wall in the living room that is Barnwood, the old 1X12 stuff pulled from an old ugly barn.

It was there when I bought the place, and I just never got around to changing it.

Now after 40 years, it is not so offensive, besides I don't have to look at it much.

ED

·
Hammered Thumb
3,593 Posts
The current theme is "Farmhouse Chic" which is all about the barn doors and shiplap. You can certainly pinpoint design eras like 70s sunken living rooms/tubs, 90s corner spa tubs with raised steps and brass everywhere, and 10s natural stone or mosaic tile accent strips and glass backsplashes to name a few. Surely the 20s will be known for it's trends and some will pass too. However, elements that are pulled appropriately from its original design/function and used somewhere else in a related function or an unexpected but sparingly fashion, e.g. shiplap where the look is exposed structure, tin ceiling in a bar area, or stainless steel in the kitchen, probably will stand the test of time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Barn doors and shiplap walls are probably here for the long run. Many tastes to run an ice cream shop. We install T&G planks and nickel gap siding on interior walls all the time. We even have installed corrugated galvanized steel panels as a ceiling. As you say, however, privacy is a drawback, as well as locking the panel in place unless you go to Tractor Supply and get regular sliding door locks.

View attachment 641068
Both barn doors and shiplap are on the list of things out of style for 2021 on several decorating websites that I read. Also “out” are all white kitchens, gray decor and microwaves over the range.

·
Naildriver
12,789 Posts
Who sits in omnipotent power to determine what people like? Customers tell me what they want and I provide it.

Reactions: de-nagorg

·
Registered
114 Posts
Eventually, the buyer. Otherwise, all of our homes would still look like our grandmothers homes did 40 years ago. Trends do drive what we like. They also drive what we no longer like. Nowadays, trends are unfortunately affecting expensive hard to change fixtures more than they should. That said, you do have to provide what the client wants.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts