DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bare old ADT wiring slipped behind wall

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  circuitman 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an old ADT alarm system (1990). Quite a few years ago, the system was deactivated because an alarm kept going off. I wanted to get rid of the old, yellowed button pad in our hallway. I cut the wires to the pad (red,yellow, green, black) and also disconnected the same wires at the control panel in the closet (there was only one cable that had those 4 colored wires, so I assume it was the same). Unfortunately, the wires slipped through the hole in the wall before I could cap them and went down the rabbit hole. Is it safe to leave them there?

Also, I checked the disconnected leads to the battery in the panel and there was no juice (is there a better way to make sure there is no power in the panel?

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Did a little googling to figure out that the transformer could be anywhere, so I disconnected one wire from the AC terminals. That should take care of it, shouldn't it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.