DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I was thinking of installing bar cabinet in my home and decided to ask here if any of you designed and installed on your own OR took help from other company who sell bar cabinets online. If you have installed home bar cabinets, would love to see some picture of yours.

Thanks!

·
retired framer
41,648 Posts
Can you find pictures of what you have in mind so we have a direction to go.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Father and I built a bar some ages ago, '85 I think, unfortunately I don't really have a good pic of it cause my kids weren't allowed near grandpa's bar.

1995-04_17.jpg

As I remember it we used 5/8" plywood, had one shelf and the back was open. We used wood floorboards to do the herringbone pattern on the front and side. There's standard type cabinet and a drawer cabinet (behind father there) that we bought unfinished, then we made the top for it and installed the bar sink. The bar fridge came later and there was some reason we never put matching herringbone on it, but I can't remember why...

I most distinctly remember how stressed I was about gluing the laminate top, my job was to make sure the sheet didn't touch until father said, I was quite sure I was going to drop it and get reamed heh

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Father and I built a bar some ages ago, '85 I think, unfortunately I don't really have a good pic of it cause my kids weren't allowed near grandpa's bar.

View attachment 588175

As I remember it we used 5/8" plywood, had one shelf and the back was open. We used wood floorboards to do the herringbone pattern on the front and side. There's standard type cabinet and a drawer cabinet (behind father there) that we bought unfinished, then we made the top for it and installed the bar sink. The bar fridge came later and there was some reason we never put matching herringbone on it, but I can't remember why...

I most distinctly remember how stressed I was about gluing the laminate top, my job was to make sure the sheet didn't touch until father said, I was quite sure I was going to drop it and get reamed heh

Thanks! Little blurry but I can see. Looks great! I'm looking for something modern type of home bar. You can see my reply to other people here where I've attached how I want the home bar.

Thanks again :)

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
You could also slightly modify this method with pocket screws.

You'll have to square off the inside rabbet for your acrylic/glass panel - and be real careful when driving the nails/screws into the "holder piece" on the backside of the doors. You'll also have to be real careful with both the positioning of the "holder piece" on the back side of the door, especially if you don't want a reveal (aka you want it to be kinda invisible from the outside, as well as be careful where you put your pin nails in said "holder piece"

Personally, I prefer the tongue and groove from the first video as it's a much cleaner look, but the pocket screw method is certainly easier and quicker. You can also add some detailing to the "inside" of that "holder piece" and get some cool effects. Paint it a color and give it a slight reveal for a nice 3D kind of effect through the glass. Add a beading detail and a matching width reveal for an inset "frame" look. Etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts